Todmorden Village - Toronto Neighbourhoods
Todmorden Village is a mature community on the east side of the Don Valley north of Danforth, and east of Boardview and, when the valley bends east, north of O'Connor and overlooks the forest in the valley. This part of Toronto was first settled in 1795 with a brewer and a several mills along the Don, and the area was named for the settlers' hometown in England. Today, the Todmorden Mills Heritage Museum down the hill on Pottery Road are all that remains.
The area north of O'Connor, between Broadview and Woodbine Avenues was settled by George Taylor in the 1830s, who owned various mills making paper mills, lumber, bricks, and milled wheat. The Don Valley Brick Works on the valley's west side are all that remains of the pioneer era Taylor industrial empire. As the Taylor family's lands were subdivided in the 1920s through 40s, homes were built north of O'Connor
Motorist can get downtown in 10 minutes via Bloor or Bayview. Access to the Don Valley Parkway is via Don Mills Road, to connect to other Toronto highways. TTC buses on Broadview and O'Connor connect to the Broadview station on the Bloor-Danforth subway line, while routes on Pape and Coxwell connect to the respective stations on the Bloor-Danforth subway.
The area is served by 2 elementary schools, 1 Catholic elementary schools, 2 high schools, and a library. University of Toronto is accessed via the Bloor-Danforth subway, and York University's Glendon Campus just north on Bayview Rd
The community has several shopping districts, the colourful Pape Village district south of O'Connor, with another cluster at Broadview & Pottery Road. There are also the busy The Danforth and Greektown districts along Danforth Avenue, with shopping, restaurants and nightlife.
The community has access to kilometres of paved recreational pathways heading along the West Don River and eat along Taylor Creek. To the east is the East York Community Centre with an indoor swimming pool, a gym, and 7 baseball diamonds. The community also has 3 running tracks, an outdoor ice rink, 2 sports fields, and a baseball diamond. The Todmorden Mills Heritage Museum and Arts Centre is located off Pottery Road, with interpretive and cultural programs.The oldest house in the neighbourhood is the 1840 Taylor family homes at 20 Beechwood Cr (at O'Connor), also called the Ira Grafton Gage House.
The houses west of Broadview Avenue, have some Victoria cottages from the very late 1800s, and many Tudor and Cottage style brick homes from the 1930's and 1940's. The homes north of O'Connor between Pape and Donlands Avenues are Tudor-style homes were built around 1930, an area sometimes called "The Golden Triangle". Around Four Oaks Park are smaller stone and brick bungalows. Ther are also some high rises close to Danforth, and some condos north of Potttery Road. Many homes in Todmorden Village have ravine or city views. Homes ere are priced in the low to medium price ranges.