Lampton (Lambton) - Toronto Neighbourhoods
This hilly neighbourhood lies west of Jane Street, south of Black Creek and north of Mark's Street (at Magwood Park). The area started with a flour mill where Dundas Road crosses the Humber, and the Lampton Mill was named for an early Governor General Of Canada, who once visited the mill. The original community of Lampton Mills lay on both sides of the Humber River. Early residents worked at the nearby CPR railway yards. The mill was destroyed by a 1915 fire, and the historic Lampton Hotel is now a community and heritage centre. The flat areas were market gardens until the 1950swhen they were developed. The area north of Dundas was called Lambton Park and the area south of Dundas is The Valley (or sometimes "Warren Park," for the area's school)
Motorists have fast access (20 minutes) into downtown via Dundas and via Bloor Street. Access to Highway 427 via Dundas connects to Highway 401 and Pearson International Airport in about 15 minutes. TTC bus riders take the Jane and Dundas routes to stations on the Bloor-Danforth subway line. The Dundas Street West bus connects to the Kipling Station (Bloor-Danforth subway) which has GO Train and Pearson Airport shuttles.
The community is served by 3 elementary schools, 2 Catholic elementary schools, 1 high school and 1 public library. University of Toronto is accessed via the Bloor subway, and York University can be accessed via the Jane Street bus. Humber College's Lakeshore Campus is a few miles to the SW along Lake Shore Blvd.
Dundas Street ha shopping at a number of plazas, and there is another plaza on Jane, just north of Black Creek.
The community has access to parklands and recreational pathways along Black Creek and the Humber River. Lambton Park, north of Dundas has lots of Oak trees, English gardens and an ice arena, Smythe Park, along Black Creek has an outdoor pool, tennis courts, a ball diamond, and ponds in a wildlife area. On the west, the community is bounded by Lampton Golf and Country Club, which has been here since 1902.
Some homes in Lampton are mill workers' cottages from the late 1800s. The area north of Dundas was developed in the early 1900s as railway employee housing, and the area north of Foxwell after the Second World War. The area south of Dundas was filled with semi-detached brick homes in the 1950s & 60s. Many homes in Lampton have river and ravine views. West of Jane, there some high rise apartments to the south of Dundas and some townhouses north of Dundas. Home prices in this community run low-medium to medium price ranges.