Walden - Sudbury, Ontario neighbourhoods and nearby communities
Walden (population 10,000 in 1996) lies west of Sudbury and Copper Cliff, and became a town from 1973, following the amalgamations of a number of townships. "Walden" was chosen as an acronym of Waters, Lively and Dennison, three communities in the merged townships. When Walden was amalgamated into Greater Sudbury in 2001, it became Ward 2 on city council. Prior to the municipal amalgamation, Walden was the largest town by land area in Canada.
The largest communities in Walden (from east to west, heading out of town):
Lively was the administrative and commercial hub of Walden, and has manyu of the areas attractions and activities. Lively began as a company town for employees of the INCO Creighton Mine, and was named for an early settler. Lively was hit by the Sudbury tornado back in1970. Lively is located north of Highway 17, along Route 24, while nearby Mikkola lies south of the highway, but along the Old Highway 17, also designated Route 55.
Naughton, originally established as McNaughtonville, is home to the Hudson Bay Company's historic Whitefish Lake Trading Post. The community commemorates Salter's Meridian, the mid-1800s survey by Alberta Salter which identified magnetic anomalies leading to the discovery of the Creighton Mine.
Whitefish is just south of the Highway 17 freeway, about 14 kilometres west of Lively,. There is a n extensive Whitefish Lake First Nations reserve south of the Vermillion River. Whitefish has two neighbourhoods, Den-Lou and Lake Panache..
Beaver Lake, along Highway 17 West, got its start in the1880s with the Canadian Pacific Railway and the discovery of nearby nickel deposits which brought jobs and settlers. Finnish immigrants settled in this area, which is why many local roads have Finnish names.
Worthington, located along Route 4, was incorporated in 1882 as a mining community in 1892. A mine collapse in 1927 caused a part of the town to sink into the mine, though nobody died because an alert mine foreman evacuated the town just before. The town's residents moved on, and the original townsite is now under water. Nearby are several mining ghost towns, including Creighton Mine (abandoned 1986), High Falls (abandoned 1975), and Victoria Mines (abandoned 1913)
Lively, Mikkola, and Whitefish have public elementary schools, Lively has a French public elementary, Lively and Naughton have a Catholic elementary school, and Lively also has a public high school, and the area's Catholic high school students are bused into Sudbury. Lively has the Walden branch of the Greater Sudbury Public Library.
There is minor shopping in each of the communities, but most shoppers head into Sudbury.
The Anderson Farm, in Lively, is now a community museum. There is a small city-run ski hill in Lively, and Fielding Park on Kelley Lake is just east of the community. Fairbank Lake Provincial Park (the lake is created by a meteor crater) is north of the community, and is popular for camping, hiking X-C skiing, boating, swimming and fishing.
The largest proportion of homes (85%) in Walden are single family detached homes, with under 5% each are semi-detached, low rise apartments, and high rise apartments. The homes in Valley East are younger than most in Sudbury, with a majority being built since 1971, and about 15% built since 1990.