XXX - BC Rockies neighbourhoods and nearby communities
This town was originally known as Sinclair Hot Springs, named for James Sinclair who was employed by the Hudson's Bay Company and in 1841 brought settlers from the Red River Colony to Oregon. The name was changed in 1915 due to the high radioactivity in the water. The first owner was Roland Stuart who bought the springs for $160 in 1890, and in 1912 built a log bathhouse and a concrete pool were built.
The strings were expropriated in 1922 for the Kootenay National Park. In 1923 the town was connected by roadway to Banff, and in 1951 the current Aquacourt was opened. In 1929, the hot springs were visited by Sir Winston Churchill, who visited with his son Randolph, his brother, and a nephew.
Today the Village of Radium Hot Springs lies on the southern end of Kootenay National Park and has 440 residents. It is at the junction of highway 93 from Banff and highway 95 from Golden. The town has a 3600 foot airstrip and the town has over 600 rooms, and 500 tent and RV sites.
events include Wings over the Rockies (May), Radium Days Festival (May), Vintage/Classic Motorcycle Rally (August), Columbia Classic Car Show & Shine Rally (Sept), Birthday Celebration (Dec 31). Contact the Radium Chamber of Commerce at 250-347-9331.
Radium children attend school nearby in Invermere.
The town has a shopping district on both sides (and just off) of Highway 93/95
Radium is home to the Hot Springs & Aquacourt (with Olympic sized pool), and the Radium Resort Springs Golf Course just south of town. Kootenay National Park's gate just 1.3 km from the highway junction. Radium has two mini-golf courses & a multi-amusement Playland. Panorama Mountain ski resort is about 35 kilometres to the southwest via Invermere.
The community has extensive recreational condo developments to the north and south of Highway 93.