The Annex - Toronto Neighbourhoods
The Annex is north of Bloor Street across from the University of Toronto, between Avenue Road and Bathurst Street, and has a lot of student housing, and the requisite restaurants, shopping (Honest Ed's is close by), and nightlife. Called "The Annex" because it was first annexed into Toronto back in 1887. The area has long had a number of rooming houses and multi-unit homes, though many have recently been converted back to single family houses. The Annex was subdivided in the 1870s and 80s, and was a popular neighbourhood with residents like Timothy Eaton (Eatons department stores), and George Gooderham, (Gooderham and Worts Distillery) until the early 1900s when the newer suburbs of Forest Hill opened up. Back in the late 1960s, the planned Spadina Expressway would have cut through the neighbourhood to connect to the 401, but local opposition forced the freeway to the current route of the Allen Expressway.
Motorists minutes from downtown Toronto, and 25 minutes from the city's highways. The community has access to three subways stops along Bloor: Bathurst, Spadina, and St George, that last two serving both the Bloor-Danforth and the Yonge-University-Spadina subway
The community is served by 3 elementary schools, 1 public high school, 2 private schools, 1 Catholic high school, and 1 public library. University of Toronto is adjacent Nearby colleges includes De La Salle College on Avenue Road at Farnham, George Brown College just south of Davenport, St Michael's College nearby at Bathurst & St Clair.. Ryerson University is accessed via the Yonge-University-Spadina subway.
Locals have access to lots of shops along Bloor Street, with lots of stores, food markets, and restaurants. The Mirvish Village area (Bloor & Bathurst) is home to Honest Ed's (bargain basement), a number of theatres, bookstores and specialty stores.
The Annex is best known for its restaurants, bars and nightclubs. The U of T has an Athletic Centre, and there are community centres for the Jewish Community and for the Native Community.
Houses in The Annex were built largely between 1880 and 1910, and in the Victorian, Queen Anne, Edwardian and Georgian styles, many with sandstone, red brick or terra cotta facades. There are also newer homes built from 1910 to 1930, and slightly smaller than the older homes. A number of these older homes were subdivided into multi-unit dwellings and there are many high rise apartments in the area. Prices here range from low-medium to high-medium levels. More Annex Photos