This community began as a grain mill in the early 1800s, to service the area's wheat farmers. By 1870 a spa-hotel opened up to take advantage of the highly mineralized water found in most local wells, and by 1882, a railway through the area brought travelers from Ottawa and Montreal. In 1906, the village was renamed Carlsbad Springs after the most fashionable resort in central Europe (nowadays in the Czech Republic). The spa closed during the 1930s, the railways station closed in the 1970s, and the hotel was demolished in the 1980s.
In the 1960s, the Ontario government proposed re-purposing Carlsbad Springs as a bedroom community in Ottawa's only to realize that the local clay soil cannot support tall buildings. Despite that, accessibility to the Queensway/417 made the community desirable for commuters looking for modest homes on large, treed lots and a semi-rural feel.
In the mid-1990s, one of the remaining spring houses was restored, so that the community would be able to remember Carlsbad Springs' past as a bustling resort and spa area. As well, Carlsbad Springs continued to attract other development, including a large golf course that was built close to highway 417.
In 2001, when Carlsbad Springs was amalgamated into the City of Ottawa, transit services were added. And in 2011, a new community centre for Carlsbad Springs opened with a gymnasium, a multi-purpose room, a meeting room, a small office and a lobby area. Harkness Park, with its baseball field, a tennis court, and a kids playground area.
The town is mostly single-family residences and surrounding farms.
There are no schools in Carslbad Srpings. All students are bussed to nearby schools.
In the wintertime, snowmobiling is both a well-loved Carlsbad Springs activity and a practical way of traveling throughout the area, as attested by the snowmobile trails that run alongside the areas' major roads. The Carlsbad Springs community has a gymnasium, a multi-purpose room, a meeting room, a small office and a lobby area. Harkness Park, with its baseball field, a tennis court, a kid's playground area.