The charming neighbourhood of Beechwood on the banks of the Rideau River is nestled between Rockcliffe Park to the north, and Vanier to the east. On the northwest edge is the vast estate of Rideau Hall, the Governor General's residence. This exclusive area is close to Beechwood Avenue's shops and restaurants. And there is plenty of green space along the Rockcliffe Parkway. Access to nearby downtown and Byward Market area is via Sussex Drive.
The quiet and charming neighbourhood of New Edinburgh is just east of the downtown core and Byward Market areas, bordered on the west by the Rideau River, to the north by the Ottawa River, and to the south by Beechwood Avenue. The area was established by Thomas McKay, one of the builders of the Rideau Canal lock system (and named for Edinburgh in his native Scotland), and its notable residents include the Governor General of Canada's large residence at Rideau Hall and the Prime Minister of Canada's official residence at 24 Sussex Drive. The streets in the neighbourhood were named after members of McKay's family. The community was annexed into Ottawa in 1887.
Lindinlea is the neighbourhood nestled between mariposa Ave to the north, Springfield Rd to the west and Beechwood to the south and east. It's the earliest planned community in Ottawa, built out after the end of the World War based on designs by urban planning pioneer Thomas Adams and his an garden suburb style which featured large back yards, and today is filled with mature trees.
The neighbourhood is home to several embassies and consulates, including those of Spain, South Africa, France, India, and Slovakia. Civil servants (in particular, employees of the nearby Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada) compose a fair portion of the population. Like Rockcliffe Park, the neighbourhood is largely English-speaking, in comparison to the French-speaking district of Vanier to the south.
The population of these communities is about 7,000.
This area has an eclectic mix of older homes and heritage buildings as well as newer townhouses and single family homes.
Lindenlea-New Edinburgh is one of the oldest neighbourhoods in Ottawa, and many (40%) of the homes pre-date 1946, 20% were built 1946 - 1960, 10% during 1961 -1970, 23% between 1971 and 1995, and 4% were built after 1996. The neighbourhood had about 2500 dwellings, of which 26% of these are single family homes, 14% are semi-detached, 9% are row houses, 3% are apartment duplexes, 20% are high-rise apartments, and 29% are low-rise apartments. Half (51%) of the residents were renters, while the other half (49%) owned their homes
There are several schools nearby, mainly Lisgar Collegiate Institute, Road College International Junior and Senior High School, Assumption, and St. Michael.
Shops and restaurants are found along Beechwood Avenue. A large Loeb grocery store & strip mall also offer a range of other goods and services.
The community has access to Sussex Drive and the national museums and institutions, as well as Rockcliffe Parkway and even more greenspace.