The Kingsway was developed by Robert Home Smith, starting in 1912, after he acquired Clergy Reserve land that was iven to the Church of England in colonial times. After the Bloor Street Bridge over the Humber River was built in 1924, home sales accelerated. Homes here were marketed to corporate executives as "a little bit of England far from England" who bought into and built this garden community.
Most Kingsway residents can walk to either the Royal York or Islington stations (Bloor-Danforth subway) line. From the Kipling station, you can connect to GO Transit, the Pearson Airport express bus service, and to the Mississauga Transit system. Motorists are a half hour from downtown via Bloor Street or Lakeshore Boulevard, and are 10 minutes from Pearson Airport.
This neighbourhood has a public elementary school, a Catholic elementary, a Montessori school, a public high school, and a public library.
The Kingsway Village shopping district along Bloor Street West provides mix of specialty shops and restaurants, with a few chains and professional services mixed on. The area features brick sidewalks, black painted cast-iron street lamps, and flags on the Bloor Street boulevard median. Dundas Street West , at the north end of The Kingsway, has a number of strip plazas filled with specialty stores, home furnishing & design boutiques, and restaurants.
The Kingways has access to the paved recreational pathways along the Humber River, which connect to Toronto's waterfront. There is also an outdoor pool, an ice arena, a lawn bowling club, tennis courts and a large baseball diamond.
Homes east of Royal York we developed as a subdivision called "Kingsway Park" and most homes were built between 1924 and 1947 in Old English classical and vernacular architectural styles. Homes have elaborate stucco and half timber exteriors, leaded glass windows and solid oak doors. There are some more recent bungalow designs mixed in, dating to the 1940s and 50s.