Britannia /Britannia Heights /Lincoln Heights - Ottawa Neighbourhoods



Britannia lies on the Ottawa River, across from Aylmer, and this neighbourhood lies west of Britannia Park. It was originally a cottage community for Ottawa residents, with lots of bungalows. The community is home to the Britannia Yacht Club on Lac Deschenes, and the city's Water Filtration Plant, with adjoining wetlands (Mud Lake). The community is adjoining the Ottawa River Pathway along the south bank of the Ottawa River to the Parliament buildings about12 kilometers away, and west to Andy Hayden Park on Lac Deschenes (and beyond)

The area was first owned by John LeBreton, back in 1818, and small mill was built at the rapids, which led to the yacht club in 1887. In the early 1900s, an electric railway brought visitors to Brittania Park, which had bathing houses and a 1000 foot pier. Cottages were built in the area for city-dwellers enjoying the lakefront. During World War II, the area provided a summer home for Royal Canadian Air Force (Women's Division) personnel. During the 1960s and 70s, the area was surrounded by the western suburb of Nepean. The Britannia water filtration plant was opened 1959, and is one of two water treatment plants that serve City of Ottawa's residents.

Britannia Heights lies east of Britannia Park and nestled between Carling Avenue and the Ottawa River Parkway.

The community was first developed by William Mosgrove in 1908, with 47 average-sized lots along Pinecrest Road and a parallel street named St. Louis (now Pinewood Crescent.)

Queensway Terrace North was originally part of Nepean, until 1950 when it was annexed to the City of Ottawa. In the late 1950s, the Campeau Corporation acquired 114 acres of the Arkell farm on Pinecrest Road and built single family homes on about 300 lots north of the Queensway/417, and reserved a site for a future public school.

In 1967, the City converted 100 unsold lots in Britannia Highlands lots to create Frank Ryan Park and the Elmhurst Woods woodland. Since 1970, several large apartment buildings have been erected in and around the area, the first being the 9-storey Pinewood West apartment building. Also, along the south end of the neighbourhood, alongside the Queensway, is a business park.

Britannia House Lincoln Heights lies north of Carling between Pinecrest and Woodroffe, at the end of the Ottawa River Parkway. It is very close to small Lincoln Fields Galleria, and the area's parks and recreation pathways. This neighbourhood notable for its high density of high rise apartment buildings that enjoy spectacular view of the Ottawa River, and access to the Lincoln Fields transit station.

Several buildings have received a City of Ottawa Heritage Designation: William Murphy House, 127 Britannia Road, Old St. Stephen's Church, 181 Britannia Road, built in the Gothic Revival style, but now a private residence.

The Britannia Village area has about 8,000 residents. The Transit is accessible via the Pinecrest, Lincoln Fields and Queensway bus stations.

Homes

The neighborhood has a mix of low and high income housing. The lower income areas of the neighbourhood are closer to Richmond Road and the more affluent areas are located near the Britannia Yacht Club at the north end of Britannia Road.

In Britannia Heights, north of Carling Avenue, most of the homes were built between the 1930s to the 1960s. After 1970, many townhouses and condominiums were built until the 1980's. There are also several post 1970s high rise buildings around Pinecrest-Carling. Queensway Terrace has a three-storey apartment building and sixty unit condominium developments have been added, as well as a number of single and semi-detached homes.

About 15.7% of the homes in this neighbourhood pre-date 1960, 30% were built 1961 -1970, 36% were built 1971 - 1980, 14% were built from 1981 -1990, and 3% were built since. Of the area's 3,800 dwellings,: 12% were single family, 6% are semi-detached, 8% are row houses, 4% were duplexes, 58% were apartments taller than 5 stories, 11% were apartments in buildings under 5 stories. 29% of the residents owned their homes while 71% rented

The Whitehaven-Queensway Terrace neighbourhoods, south of Carling Avenue, are relatively with only 19% of homes pre-dating 1960, 51% built 1961 - 1980, 22% built 1981 -1990, and 7% built after 1991.

The Whitehaven-Queensway Terrace area has about 5,000 dwellings, of which 27% are single family, 9% are semi-detached, 12% are row houses, 2% are apartment duplexes, 41% are high-rise apartments (over 5 stories), and 8% were low-rise apartments. An equal number of residents rent (50%) and own (50%) their homes in the neighbourhood.

Schools

The community is served by 3 elementary schools, and students attend nearby Woodroffe High School. Britannia Yacht Club

Shopping

There is a plaza at the top of Britannia Rd at Richmond Rd, and Bayshore Shopping Centre, Lincoln Fields Galleria, Carlingwood (at Carling & Woodroffe), and the IKEA store are close by.

More Britannia Photos

Recreation

The Ottawa Folk Festival is held annually at Britannia Park. Britannia Heights is home to Frank Ryan Park, Elmhurst Woods, and the Old Forge, and is very close to Britannia Beach. Grant Alternative School (formerly Grant Public School) is now a heritage site of Ottawa, and in 2013, the school became a Francophone community center, nursing home, and a campus for La Cite Collegiate.

Community Map

Site Features  
Local: Ottawa-Gatineau Search  Click to expand this menu
Local: Ottawa Info  Click to expand this menu
Ontario Provincial Info  Click to expand this menu
Choose a Province  Click to expand this menu
Choose a City  Click to expand this menu