Airport-Uplands / Hunt Club / South Keys - Ottawa Neighbourhoods
This area is just north of the airport, on both side of Hunt Club Road, and between the Airport Parkway to the east and the Rideau River to the west. The community is surrounded by Greenbelt and is home to the Ottawa Hunt and Golf Club (which was established in 1907).
To the east is the South Keys big box shopping area and the South Keys Cinema. The neighbourhood is accessible to the city's Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport (but away from the runway noise) and has excellent transit access, with the O-Train Greenboro Station. The area is only 12 minutes from downtown Ottawa via the Airport Parkway
The older neighbourhood between Riverside Drive and the Rideau River is considered the western edge of Hunt Club. South of Hunt Club Road is the neighbourhood of Windsor Park Village & Elizabeth Park. The areas around South Keys are also sometimes considered part of Hunt Club. Other neighborhoods that are part of this community are
- Hunt Club Woods
- Hunt Club Estate
- Hunt Club Chase
- South Keys
Hunt Club was originally settled by Europeans in the early 1800s, and was originally part of Gloucester Township, but was annexed by the city of Ottawa in 1950. In the 1950s, the NCC acquired most of the land alongside the railroad (originally for a city ring-road) which became the fields and forests of the Greenbelt. Most of the area was developed in the 1970s as a suburban bedroom community with many single-family houses.
The population in the Hunt Club area is about 26,000.
The area is mostly upscale single-family homes, with many built since the 1970s when the NCCC released some Greenbelt land to developers. Hunt Club started being developed early in the 60s and 1970s, but the Hunt Club East neighbourhood was built up quickly (57% of homes) in the 1970s, the Hunt Club Airport area grew over the 1970s and 1980s, and the Hunt Club Park area was built up in the 1990s (86% of homes). The neighbourhood also has the Landmark Court Retirement Residence for seniors.
Many (35%) of the dwellings in Hunt Club were constructed in the period between 1961 and 1970. Another 6% were built between 1946 and 1960, 15% were built between 1971 and 1980, 12% between 1981 and 1985, and 17% between 1996 and 2006.
Hunt Club has 9,000 dwellings: 41% of these are single family homes, 4% are semi-detached, 42% are row houses, 1% are apartment duplexes, 8% are high rise apartments, and 6% are low-rise apartments. The great majority (73%) owned, while 22% of residents rented their homes.
South Keys-Heron Gate-Greenboro West is a relatively new neighbourhood; the majority of homes (60%) were built between 1961 and 1980 and 21% were built between 1981 and 1990. Additionally, 7% of homes were built between 1991 and 2000, 12% were built between 2001 and 2006, and less than 1% were constructed before 1960.
The community has a public library, and both public and Catholic schools. With the O-Train, there is direct access to Carleton University.
Big box shopping is in the South Keys big box mall, and there are many stores along Hunt Club Rd and east along Bank Street.
The Ottawa Hunt and Golf Club was established in 1907, and is one of Ottawa's most prestigious private clubs.